[600MRG] Distance from powerline question

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Tue Dec 9 16:10:37 CST 2014

Rudy, etal:

Reading the mail here.  I checked my 160m noise on my 80m inverted-V
and its running S5/6 at mid-day (S4 on 3920-KHz where its
resonant).  No overhead power lines within a 1/4 mile (subdivision is
buried utilities).  On 495-KHz its lower at S1 but the antennas is
grossly mismatched.  Can't test the 600m inverted-L because its on
the ground with one leg broken (by a moose encounter in
Sept.).  Typically 160m and 600m noise are comparable in my location.

Curious about the right-angle loop you describe.  Actually sounds
like a 70Hx50L right-triangle with upper apex open with
termination.  I don't have any supports that tall (only 50-foot
towers) but maybe I could raise a shorter version of your antenna
35Hx50L broadside to SE-NW?  This would keep it 15-foot off the
ground so moose can walk under.

Do you use a tuner on Rx?

73, Ed