[600MRG] Answers, Please

John Molnar wa3etd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:06:43 CDT 2013

So last evening my 10' diameter single turn coax magnetic preamped RX loop,
which is my main MF RX vehicle, was blown over by a microburst.  It landed
intact, flat on soaking grass.  I went to RX only on WSPR for the duration.

For the previous two weeks I have been copying John XIQ in Dallas
sporadically, one or two spots every other night, in the -24 or so range.
This morning, loop flat on ground, had 15 spots, many consecutive, from XIQ
in the -26, -27 arena.  I don't believe the conditions improved that
suddenly overnight.

I'm looking for possible explanations as to why the loop seemingly
performed that well when earthbound.

I am constructing a similiar loop, only pinning it directly to the grass
with identical preamp in an attempt to conduct meaningful side-by-side,
aahh,
side by ground tests.  Will advise.

All theories welcome.

Tnx,