[600MRG] /20 noise, etc

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Fri Nov 29 19:35:08 CST 2013

I have one main noise source, which is a neighbor's (slow) DSL service.
I have the same service, but had a phone company installer put in a
splitter where the wire entered the house.  We have a wired phone also.
This apparently terminates the phone line correctly. My neighbor, with
no wired phone, just hooked up the modem on one of several unterminated
lines in the large house.  His line that runs out to the pole radiates
strong broadband noise from HF down to about 450kHz.  I traced it with
an ancient portable AM radio tuned near 500kHz.  It has a large
"loopstick" and a real tuned RF stage. I detected zero noise when
directly under the phone lines on the power poles and very little on our
own drop line, but S9 noise as I followed the line across the street!
DFing can be difficult because you can't be sure if you are in the near
or far magnetic fields.
Fortunately, this noise gets covered up by atmospheric noise most nights.