[600MRG] /20 noise, etc

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Fri Nov 29 18:20:32 CST 2013

Had a house full of family last night so was strictly QRT but will be
watching/listening tonight and may also transmit WSPR for a while.  I've
noticed that nothing much in the way of signals is heard here until 2000
local (0400Z) and then the band picks up noticeably.  That's been pretty
consistent.  The transition from zilch to signals is often quite abrupt.

I spent an interesting day trying to find my local noise monster but it was
frustrating.  I put together a 6' dia eight turn loop to sniff around with
but I found that my two antennas were picking up and reradiating the noise
signal greatly confusing the DFing.  I had to physically open the downlead
on both antennas.  In the future if I use some kind of phased rx array
(which I'm certain will be necessary) with a steerable null I'll  have to
install relays on each antenna to open them when listening on the rx
antenna.  I found that my steel building (70' long) also confuses things.
I'll  have to move the DF/rx array out into my fields if I'm to have any
success.

The only bright spot is that my main noise monster is a single source which
may make it possible to null it out.

Will report what I hear tonight.

73, Rudy