[600MRG] New RadioTelegraph License

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Tue May 21 12:49:48 CDT 2013

I obtained my General Radiotelephone license (with Radar endorsement) in
1986 in the Federal Building in Boston.  The tests were mostly very out
of date at that time, some not having been updated since 1968.  I was
doing serious blue water sailing at the time, but never really needed
the license.  I still had fun doing it.
I also have the 20 WPM amateur extra, obtained when the FCC first
started re-issuing old callsigns, but I really don't need another
license at this point.
Recently I got my Sport Pilot's license.  Now that was a LOT of work,
with many hoops to jump through and skills to master, especially because
I took lessons in my own experimental plane that I mostly maintain
myself.  These tests ARE up to date.  The written test is given by
computer at a local flight school, with results known at once. Ham
skills have been very useful in re-wiring, radio repair, avionics
installation, EMI reduction, etc.
Brian, W1IR