[600MRG] Getting Startedv on 600 Meters

Charlie , W5COV cvest at cox.net
Tue May 7 12:57:10 CDT 2013

There are a lot of articles out there , but every station is unique
since there are so many different ways to get on . I would suggest some
web pages off the top of my head .

The Longwave Club of America , www.lwca.org , www.w1vd.com ,
www.w1tag.com , www.w4dex.com .

The LowFer mail group has a lot of discussion on who is transmitting in
what mode and at what time . Naturally after dark is the "best" time to
listen . However depending on where you are you might also hear stations
during the day .

Most people are using QRSS and the most user friendly software for that
is ARGO weak signals . There are others , but that is the most common
and easiest to start with .

Many stations also run in WSPR mode . WSPR software by Joe Taylor , is
free software as is ARGO .

A good high gain receiving antenna is an e-probe or mini whip . Some of
the links above have plans for them . The PA0RDT mini whip is one of the
easiest and most popular to homebrew .

Here is another link for a receiving antenna that is easy to build :

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/antennas.html#Improved Active Antenna

Best 73 ,

Charlie , W5COV