[600MRG] Fwd: Re: Testing new Transmit downconverter

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 25 09:07:40 CDT 2013

Hey Pat - sorry to hear about your experience.  The one I built based on  the
G3XBM-design driving the GW3UEP amp worked flawlessly through the  2012/2013
season and continues to function pretty stable even using a  3.2 rock for an
LO.

For CW I use a homebrew VFO and separate  amp but could use the transverter with
good success.  I just hate  dealing with the offset that the radio automatically
applies to the  carrier freq which is why I prefer the home brew VFO.

John  Molnar's board is very unique in that it has an option for and out board
10 MHz GPS locked LO instead of the crystal.  That is something I will  look at
going forward.  The board seems to do well and is good value for  someone who
may be new to putting kits together and wants to get on  the band.  I give it a
thumbs up so far and I am doing some tweeking  this morning to make sure I got
the toroids wound properly.  My original  downconverter does not use toroids but
had equal adjustments that had  to be made to make sure I was getting max power
and best wave form.. Too  bad we can't just wind them and put them in HI!

thanks for the  comments.  SO far I like what I see on the board XKA designed.
Its  certainly much easier than the dad bug design I used for the original  box!

73 and looking for you in the noise!

John /NJD/XIQ