[600MRG] Fwd: Re: Testing new Transmit downconverter

pat bunn pbunn at patbunn.com
Thu Apr 25 08:57:01 CDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [600MRG] Testing new Transmit downconverter
Date: 	Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:45:53 -0400
From: 	pat bunn <pbunn at patbunn.com>
To: 	John Langridge <jlangridge at sbcglobal.net>

My experience with transmitting down converters is not all that good -
actually bad. They are easy to make from scratch, but the problem is
with stability in the transmitter or transceiver. I found my IC718 to be
worthless for WSPR, especially WSPR-15 even at 1 watt output due to
thermal heating causing significant frequency drift. I think Dex also
had the same problem with a newer ICOM tranceiver.  The IC718 set at one
watt out got physically hot to touch after a 15 minute WSPR transmission
and was impossible to decode by Dex,  80 miles away( a very strong
signal) due to drift

They are probably fine for CW, but for long QRSS or other long transmit
modes, you are likely to be disappointed.

After testing several different methods to stabilize the transceiver, I
bought a used HP signal generator to generate my transmit signal to feed
the class D Amps. I have this GPS disciplined and am very happy with
this solution.

Pat
WG2XCT
N4LTA