[600MRG] Antennas....

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 18 11:56:35 CST 2018

On 18 Jan 2018 at 5:28, John Langridge wrote:

> More than likely, yes.. A large number of us are using verticals in
> the 50-100 foot tall range.. most are capacitively toploaded, however,
> which you dont indicate about your system...

Since my vertical amounts to a large mobile whip, top-loading is out of the question here. I'll
have to make-do with what I have at this point.

However, I am also building a fairly large loop, which will follow the outside lines of our
property. It will be about 270 feet long over-all and will be installed at a height of about 40
feet. It MAY work at least as well as my vertical....maybe...

It will be fed with 600 ohm open wire line.

For 630 meters, I'll short the feed-line at the bottom and add a loading coil.

I'm afraid at this point that that will be about the best I can do here. The lot is too small and I
am in the middle of a small city.

> Since our rules say we are limited by EIRP or 500W TPO, whichever
> comes first, you should be able to reach the limit with more power if
> nothing else... If you had some top loading, that would help but make
> sure you use all the radials you can..

So far, I have 16 ea 32 foot radials, and plan to add at least another 20. The trouble is that
they cannot be installed in a symetrical circle since the vertical is so close to our home...but
I'll do the best I can.

> so yeah, you can find some success but you have to pick and choose
> your battles.  remember that in 2014 I did some tests in the winter
> with an 8 foot tall, base loaded vertical with no top loading and WSPR
> and was heard all over.. results were atypical but your 55 foot
> vertical will probably do just fine.

I expect it will work.

My next big project is building a transmitter and an amplifier for 630 meters.

Thanks, John.

Ken W7EKB

---