[600MRG] 630 meters?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 17 16:49:21 CST 2018

On 17 Jan 2018 at 22:27, Dwight Blevins wrote:

> Dear Ken,

Hello, Ike. Nice to hear from you.

> Hope you don't mind the intrusion.

Ha! This is NOT an intrusion. :-)

> I got your email off QRZ. Looking around the
> region to see if there are any active hams on 630m within a few hundred miles of
> Grand Junction. I was licensed as a novice in 1963, born in 46. Got the Extra
> back in the 1980s.

Good man.

> I've been on the air for a few days, but no luck making any contacts at all on 630.
> Running maybe 45 watts input with a homebrew rig, using an inverted L, base
> loaded and cut at about 3/8ths wavelength for 160 meter band. I live on a city lot,
> so maybe I'm expecting too much of this new band? I had hoped to work a few
> hundred miles out, which I realize on 630m, that's like DX :)

Actually, there are quite a few stations within hearing distance of your station, most of whom
operate no better antennas than yours.

> Anyway, won't take up more of your time. I tend to hang out around 475.3 khz, so
> if you should hear me on the air some night please give a call on cw.

I strongly suggest that you join our 600 meter forum, the 600 Meter Research Group. Here
is the URL where you can sign up.