[600MRG] More on HADGPS

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Fri Sep 22 20:07:41 CDT 2017

Some more thoughts on HADGPS.

The High Accuracy DGPS station in Pueblo CO (458 kHz) previously mentioned is probably a spin off of Falcon AFB.

It is causing interference to the new 630 meter ham band in surrounding cities (S8 on 472 Khz at 40  miles).

This is a test bed facility so there is probably no worry that a wideband MF  data transmitter will be in your backyard any time soon. It had been used for DGPS testing in the past at about 100 bps that didn't occupy 50 kHz. Now it is using a high data (1000 bps)  but I think it only has a HA range of a few hundred miles.

LORAN had better range and they shut it all down because it was too expensive to maintain.

There were about 75 LORAN stations, (there were many different types of LORAN A, B, C, etc).

If this HADGPS is going to work there would have to be a big

 transmitter in every city/place where they wanted to use it. That would be very expensive.

If they did that they would probably need all the MF spectrum available. They would not put all them on

458 KHz. Of course they could not proceed without the UTC's approval.

These are just my speculations, I have no insider information.

I am going to have to build a loop to null this thing out.

Paul   wa2xrm