[600MRG] Antenna tuner for 600 meters?

patrick hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Wed Sep 20 23:09:23 CDT 2017

Emory,
Thanks for your interest in 2200 / 630 meters.
For your tuner question --
Basically you must first start with an antenna built for 630 meters.
If you were to load a 40 meter vertical on 630 or 2200, it would be like trying to use a six-meter whip on 160 meters.
The tuner you would need would be the low-frequency tuner for the WW2 BC-610 which was four feet long, two feet high with a roller coil about three feet long and almost a foot in diameter. The voltage at the base of the antenna would be enough to crack a normal ham base insulator.

Start at the source we created for you. we were anticipating when the FCC would allow us to use ham calls on the band <www.500kc.com>.
(It will take about a week's reading for a working man if you look at the technical stuff only).
After you read the low frequency antennas book at the end of the technical files section,
you can find MODERN (easier math - use a program) antenna research at the N6LF site.
Reading both will help you decide WHAT to build and HOW.

Please - don't believe the salesman. Broadcast stations pay thousands of dollars to get their antennas designed.
No two sites are the same so no two antennas are the same Unless you can afford an engineering firm, it is DIY which requires study.
Then look at the W5JGV site == especially the long plastic insulator on fire in pictures posted under the 166 KC heading.

I am sure that getting on the 630 meter band or 2200 meter band will give you a new feeling of achievement. Most new hams will start from the same point. First a few QSOs across town, and then station improvements. I had daily 9PM CW skeds from the Mississippi coast to New York on CW one winter after getting things improved. You can also look at Mar 2008 QST page 43 - 45 online.
73,
Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6