[600MRG] Antenna tuner for 600 meters?

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:26:12 CDT 2017

Hi Emory,

It will probably take a few months for manufacturers to get up to
speed to produce a finished product but I can tell you that at least
one manufacturer is working on a loading and matching device, which is
really what you are looking for.

At the moment you are going to have to build and there are a number of
approaches.  Many of us on the air today use variometers that are
motor driven with variable shunt elements to handle the match to
feedline located at the feedpoint of the antenna.  Others use fixed
coils with series capacitors.  There are a bunch of ways to do what
you are seeking to do.

If you check out the August CQ Magazine, John Molnar, WA3ETD / WG2XKA,
has a nice article about building a vario from a bucket, which has
been done time and time again and chronicled by many, myself included.
You can also see similar details on John's site:
https://wg2xka.wordpress.com/the-variometer/

You can see the series approach on NO3M's page:
http://no3m.net/antennas/630m-antennas/

As others have mentioned, check Rudy, N6LF / WD2XSH/20, webpage:
http://www.rudys.typepad.com/
specifically look at Rudy's book, which goes into a lot of details
about successful antennas.

Failing all that, check my links page as everything you need will be
linked from that page:
http://njdtechnologies.net/links/

The bottom line is that right now there is no turn-key antenna loading
and matching system that you can buy unless you find some commercial
and even then you will have to implement.  its going to be more than
just hooking up a feedline and antenna element. But there will be in
the future...Don't try to use a regular HF tuner in the shack!.. There
isn't enough L and C and the coax will probably arc.

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..