[600MRG] Reverse Beacon Network receiver node for 630-meters online

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:08:30 CDT 2017

As we revel in the excitement of the bands opening, I want to report
that I think I have finally gotten a 630-meter reverse beacon network
node and CW Skimmer listening on the air using my remote grabber
receiver.

At the end of July I made a plea for skimmer operators that were
connected to RBN to add 630-meters to their systems if they had SDR
capacity.  Having wrestled with the setup for a few years myself due
to hardware compatibility problems, I was successful once I setup the
Ensemble II LF at the remote receive site.

I was prepared to tell you about the "plugs" that I had to add so that
experimental call sign could be decoded and uploaded properly and
consistentl but that seems less important now that the band will open
in 30 days (baring objections or those that forget to register today).
At any rate, I have added all call signs with active 472 grants to a
list that should allow them to upload immediately upon reception of a
CQ and confirmed callsign.  Again, less of an issue when it comes to
ham callsigns.

If anyone else has a node available and receiver capacity to add
630meters or if anyone would like to know what I learned through the
process so they can set up their own node, please let me know.  There
is a licensing fee for the skimmer software which is why I am
soliciting existing skimmer operators that have already made the
investment.

Thanks to Roger, VE7VV, who did a lot of leg work and listened to me
complain about it when it didn't work.  He was successful at getting
the system running with a couple of stations in VE6.... we need more
on the air and like WSPRnet drives WSPR activity, RBN/skimmer may
drive copious amounts of 472 CW activity in the future.

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ...