[600MRG] No APPROVAL received

Michael Mussler mmussler at centurylink.net
Sun Oct 22 11:19:19 CDT 2017

Bob,
I applied to UTC on September 15th but I did not hear back from them by the 30 day deadline. Early this week I initiated correspondence via the frequency coordination tab on the UTC web site. On Wednesday October 18th, I received the approval message.

Empire Electric, a local non-profit cooperative provides our power. It is possible that UTC awaits response from the local power companies (whether a large utility or a cooperative) before issuing their “official” approval letter. The delay may be driven by the work load of a number of people working for different organizations and the desire to avoid legal ramifications by issuing a premature approval letter.

There are concerns over the security of the power grid from terrorist attacks (North Korea being the most recent threat to appear in the news) and natural phenomena like a well-aimed solar flare. If regulators’ concerns over unintentional effects from a licensed service (hams) radiating 5 watts EIRP on these frequencies are legitimate, then we are in big trouble indeed.

Mike Mussler, AI8Z
ex WD2XSH/12
Cortez, Colorado