[600MRG] Listening on 630 M tonight

Meir WF2U wf2u at ws19ops.com
Sun Oct 15 22:36:48 CDT 2017

Group,

I briefly listened to the first night's activities on 630 m CW from 10:15pm
EDT to 10:30pm EDT and I'm happy to report that it sounded pretty busy!

I used my 1943 vintage Navy RBA-1 TRF receiver, with the only wire antenna I
have, a 265 ft Carolina Windom, 55 ft at the apex. For better match, I used
it as a top-loaded vertical and only used the center conductor of the coax
to feed the receiver, with the ground post of the receiver directly
grounded. This gave me the best signal strength vs. noise as I found out
empirically. Noise level was not too bad (I live in an electrically quiet
area out in the country; my shack is an unattached separate building
I heard the following stations, their signal reports are as I perceived by
hearing them relative to the noise level (the RBA doesn't have an S-meter):

NO3M  - 599
K9MRI - 339 to 449
K4LY -  599
KB5NJD - 559 to 579
WA1ZMS - 589
K4EJQ - 599

Full QSO's heard:

K9MRI with NO3M
K9MRI with K4LY
NO3M with WA1ZMS
KB5NJD with NO3M
W1ZMS with K4EJQ

I hope this report is helpful.

Now it's time to build a 630 m antenna and dust off one of my old Navy LF/MF
transmitters that has been gathering dust waiting for better days, and get
it on the air!

I really enjoyed this evening even just listening!

73, Meir WF2U
Landrum, SC