[600MRG] Approval?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Nov 8 16:05:48 CST 2017

OK. Here is the "operant" section from the FCC's announcement:

"Amateur operators MAY COMMENCE OPERATIONS in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and/or
472-479 kHz bands IF UTC DOES NOT RESPOND WITHIN 30 DAYS, or if UTC responds
sooner that the proposed site is not within one kilometer of a PLC system operating in the
same or overlapping frequencies.

4

They may not commence operations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and/or 472-479 kHz bands
if UTC responds that the proposed site is within one kilometer of a PLC system operating in
the same or overlapping frequencies, but they may submit a notification to propose a
different site."

Notice: there is not ONE MENTION of the word "approval". Not one. One can, I suppose,
read an implication of approval from these words:

"or if UTC responds sooner that the proposed site is not within one kilometer of a PLC
system operating in the same or overlapping frequencies."

But it is clear that such "approval" is NOT required to be received by any amateur who
wishes to operate in those bands before such operation.

I repeat: it is abundantly clear that if you have NOT received an "objection" from UTC within
30 days of your communication with them, you are free to begin operation.

Gee....

Ken W7EKB

---