[600MRG] Approval?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Nov 8 15:47:23 CST 2017

On 8 Nov 2017 at 14:36, Chris - KC0TKS wrote:

> So, what Dick posted is not true?

I believe the problem word in Dick's missive is "preapproved". In my opinion, that statement
is confusing.

Here appears to be the deal: IFF the UTC sends you an approval, it appears that you are
then approved ONLY for the site you requested. If you change locations, you must reapply
to the UTC. I see nothing wrong with this.

BUT....

In point of fact, the FCC clearly stated that operation wherever you are, is permitted as long
as you 1) have notified the UTC, and 2) you have NOT received an OBJECTION, or any
other communication, from them within 30 days of your application.

> I keep getting jerked back-and-forth, nowhere official to find the real
> story?

You can find the "official" pronouncement on this matter at FCC.gov.

I do not have the direct link to that at this time, but it was posted here, at least twice, some
time ago.

Anyone? Brian, maybe? Friitz?

I also suspect that the UTC, or some parts of it at least, are reading the FCC announcement
much as some of us are: that is, if there is no objection, why should we bother to send an
"approval"? It really isn't necessary. This is probably why I got my own "approval" LONG
after the 30 days were up.

And, BTW, I have a 13.6 KV power line running right down my alley, less than 50 feet from
where my antenna will be.

If there was an issue, they sure as heck wouldn't have waited until long after the 30 days to
notify me!!!!

>From the foregoing, and from others' experiences which have been posted here, I can see
absolutely no reason whatever preventing you from operating on both bands as soon as you
are able.

If you are thinking that it may happen that after you have invested time and money in
building a station, and getting it on the air, the UTC may come along and boot you off, as I
see it, they did not fulfill their part of the announcement from the FCC, therefore they are out
of luck and have no recourse. You fulfilled YOUR part of the "agreement": they didn't...or in
point of fact, they DID ... by not bothering to OBJECT, since there was no problem.

Ken W7EKB

---