[600MRG] 200 ohms

Marshall Cross mcross at megawave.com
Tue Nov 7 09:11:45 CST 2017

Hi Ben, according to Hagn: "Electrical Properties of Forested Media," contained in "Workshop on Radio Systems in Forested and/or Vegetated Environments," U.S. Army Communications Command, Feb.'74, AD-780712;the intrinsic conductivity of a tree is probably 0.01 to 1.0 mho/m (S/m), depending upon the type and condition of the tree. So a tree can be considered to be a poor conductor in the MF radio band. Many experiments have been conducted using trees as HF antennas, the most successful being due to Ikrath who used a Rogowski coil to excite the trunk with encouraging results. In Hagn's cited paper he mentions that Taylor studied the effect of a single tree upon a nearby open-wire transmission line and concluded that it loaded such a line as a lossy capacitor. So your intuition about your particular case (tree's capacitive coupling) could be correct. By the way, the use of trees as antennas was first proposed by U.S. Army Major (later Major General) G.O. Squire in 1905 and in a Franklin Institute paper in 1919! 73, Marshall, W1HK