[600MRG] 200 ohms

Ben Gelb ben at gelbnet.com
Mon Nov 6 22:24:42 CST 2017

My small city lot features a single 30 ft tree, which is currently
supporting my 30' x 30' inverted L (other end of the horizontal segment
supported by a 20' fishing pole strapped to a fence post ... so maybe 25'
in the air).

The tree is at the corner of the lot, so the radials are really just over a
90 degree sector (rather than a full circle around the vertical). I also
only have 3 radials probably each about 20 ft long, with a 10' ground rod
at the end of each one. There is also a 10' ground rod at the base of the
vertical.

So, it ain't great. But is what it is on a small city lot.

Feedpoint impedance is ~200 ohms (and with 472khz.org antenna calculator
estimating ~0.2ohm radiation resistance, thats an efficiency of maybe 0.1%,
give or take).

So naturally I've been thinking about how to improve the setup. One thing
is that the tree really is supporting the antenna (wire dragged right up
over it). Its HV-insulated wire (20kV) to prevent any arcing to the tree
and burning behavior (pre-HV wire version didn't fare too well, but the
smolders have been successfully eliminated with the HV wire upgrade).

I guess I am wondering if the tree itself may be impacting the performance
of the antenna (capacitive coupling to the tree?) and contributing to the
high feedpoint Z, or if its really all just terrible ground that is to
blame.

Your thoughts appreciated!

73,
Ben, N1VF