[600MRG] How to Convert your BC-453 to 166 kHz.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue May 23 16:29:02 CDT 2017

On 23 May 2017 at 20:08, Paul Signorelli wrote:

> Great Stuff Ken  !!!

Thank you, Paul. You're pretty good at this too.

> I use BC-453-B as a distant field strength meter by monitoring the AGC.

Funny thing about that: the SCR-274N series have all the components necessary to
implement a decent AGC, but it was never connected to the RF or IF stages in that series,
nor in the earlier ARA Navy series either.

AGC was then incorporated and eventually enhanced in the later Navy models of the
AN/ARC-5 series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/ARC-5

> ps: If you have 2 sets of front end cans, (The 3 plug in coils in the
> bottom of the receiver), you can add the

I have extra front-end cans and IF cans for those receivers if needed. Also Fair Radio Sales
still has parts for those receivers, all NIB, but you have to ask for them as they are not in their
catalog.

> 166 kHz caps into one can and keep the stock can for the 190 - 550 kHz range.

Yup. Good idea.

> Just like the old HRO's.
>
> I used to have one on my bike running on the dynamotor.
>
> I used to monitor the ships in the Long Beach Harbor area.

Yes. Too bad (I guess) all that ship traffic is gone now.

Ken W7EKB

---