[600MRG] Paralleling Wires in Antennas

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Wed May 3 18:38:40 CDT 2017

Frank, I had that problem when I was living and cruising on my sailboat with
lots of SS standing rigging.

I did the following:

1) Install insulators in my SS wire backstay, lots of $!

2) I took a long strip of 0.020" X 3/4" copper and covered both sides with
1" wide plastic tape.  Being very careful to squash it together with a
roller on an anvil to get it sealed.

3) I then formed the copper/tape strip into a "U" around the backstay,
taping it in place.

4) I fed both the copper and the backstay wire at the bottom end as a
sloper.  I also tried feeding it at the top of the mast as a sloper.  Both
configurations worked.

5) That lash-up lasted many years and thousands of miles of trans-ocean
passages giving me a good signal while offshore or in anchorages.

That's my suggestion, I'm sure there are many other ways to skin your cat.

73, Rudy N6LF