[600MRG] Paralleling Wires in Antennas

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Wed May 3 18:12:24 CDT 2017

A question about paralleling two conductors to use an antenna mast guy wire as a dipole (or as part of another type of wire antenna) - For example, using a stranded stainless steel guy wire with appropriate insulators and cable clamps to construct a sloping dipole.  If the stainless wire is paralleled with a stranded or solid conductor copper wire will the resulting dipole antenna have less loss than using just the stainless steel guy wire as the dipole (or as part of another type of wire antenna?)  If yes, how much less, e.g. was it really worth the effort to parallel the 2 different wires?  I would think that at LF and MF application (where the guy is part of some type of wire antenna) its "six in one, half a dozen in the other."  Maybe not so for HiFER (22 meter) application where the guy can definitely accommodate a full size dipole or possibly even an extended center fed zepp... ?

Could the paralleled wire approach have application where a "small in comparison to wavelength triangular shaped one-turn loop antenna" is constructed for VLF / LF / MF by using 2 guy wires. Since small loops are quite inefficient (their radiation resistance is far smaller than their RF resistive loss), could the paralleled stainless / copper wire approach be used as a means to improve VLF / LF / MF loop antenna efficiency?

Oh, let me qualify, when I said parallel wires I meant the two wires are in intimate contact, maybe by clamping them together every few feet, or using a spiral pitch of a few feet where the copper is spiraled around the stainless steel guy cable.  And I don't mean "copperweld."

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA