[600MRG] GPSDO continued -

jrusgrove at comcast.net jrusgrove at comcast.net
Sun Mar 5 14:25:07 CST 2017

In most cases, an external GPS 10 MHz reference tied to a transceiver does not
provide the same level of frequency accuracy that one expects from of a piece
of test equipment or military receiver. The Elecraft K3 with external
reference, for example, is only good to about 2 Hz ... a joke compared to the
mHz / uHz (or better) accuracy and near perfect phase stability of test
equipment or military receivers connected to a 10 MHz reference.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2

p.s. before someone comments that mHz / uHz accuracy and perfect phase
stability are not required for amateur work, please note that cutting edge weak
signal modes like DF6NM Opera Deep Search and EbNaut (that can decode signals
50 dB or better below the noise floor*) do require this level of accuracy /
stability.

* referenced to a 2.5 kHz bandwidth