[600MRG] Radio Telegraph license

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sat Jul 22 13:37:57 CDT 2017

 Ken -

You'll need to arrange to take the exams with a COLEM - here's a list:

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/commercial-radio-operator-license-program/commercial#block-menu-block-4

To get the current RadioTelegraph license you need to have credit for written elements 1 and 6, as well as the code test elements 1 and 2.  If you have documentation that you passed the 20 WPM Amateur Extra exam (before the code requirement was eliminated in April 2000 ) then you can submit that material.  You may already have credit for element 1 if you hold a General RadioTelephone license.

I'll attach the story of my efforts in 2013 to get license T000000001 at the bottom of this message.

The COLEM I used (ETA) did not have any testing centers near me, so I arranged for a local librarian to proctor the exam in the library.  That worked very well.  My contact at ETA is

Lindy Wingler  800-288-3824   lwingler at eta-i.org

Good Luck!

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.

My NewFCC Radiotelegraph License

by  Steve Johnston,WD8DAS        June 2013

In thecourse of researching something on the internet a few months ago, I stumbledupon information that the FCC was planning to restructure their Radiotelegraphlicenses, much as they did the Radiotelephone tickets years ago. They arecombining the first and second class into one class, and eliminating theexperience requirement (since there are almost no places you can work and useCW on the air).

This gotme thinking (always dangerous) and I realized I could take advantage of this toget a new license. After a few months of correspondence with the examproviders, and a little studying, I'm proud to announce that the FCC hasgranted my new RadioTelegraph Operator License. It is number T000000001, so Iwas the first to receive the new type of radiotelegraph ticket.

When theFCC announced the new radiotelegraph license structure in January (see below),I asked the FCC's helpdesk what elements would be needed for me to get the newticket. They confirmed that applicants for the new Radiotelegraph Operator Licensewould be required to pass written elements 1 and 6, and telegraphy elements 1and 2. I hold an Amateur Extra class ham license issued before April 15, 2000,so my passing of that 20 wpm code test years ago would substitute forTelegraphy Elements 1 and 2. I also hold a General Radiotelephone OperatorLicense (was originally a First-Phone), so that would cover written element 1.That left me only needing to take the exam for written element 6.

TheElectronics Technicians Association wasthe only COLEM (the commercial equivalent of volunteer examiners) thatresponded to my email inquiries - none of the others even bothered to reply. Ittook me three months to work out with ETA how to take the exam. Their examinersbased at a nearby college had apparently vanished without notice, and thusthere was a lot of dead-end emailing and back-n-forth discussion. ETA finallyoffered the option to have a local library proctor the exam. I made the libraryarrangements and took the exam in mid-May. In just a few days ETA let me knowI'd passed and they submitted my application on the first day the Commissionwas able to accept them, May 20.

Whybother with a new version of an antique license? I appreciated the challenge ofstudying for a serious exam covering technology from a very wide time range -1920s to 2000s. Except for museum-ships and historical club shore stations,there is little commercial Morse to be heard on the "ship-to-shore"bands. But I can still get a job as a radio operator on board a MilitarySealift Command or merchant marine ship – the radiotelegraph ticket is stillimportant to them – so I could always take to the high seas if I need to make aclean getaway sometime.

"Whydo you want to climb Mount Everest?" George Mallory is famously quoted ashaving replied, "Because it's there". It is unlikely I will climbMount Everest, but I can always learn more about radio and electronics.

SteveJohnston
AmateurExtra WD8DAS
RadioTelegraphT000000001
RadioTelephonePG1912457

Fitchburg,Wisconsin

sbjohnston at aol.com

TheElectronics Technicians Association http://www.eta-i.org/fcc_licensing.html wasthe only COLEM (the commercial equivalent of volunteer examiners) thatresponded to my email inquiries - none of the others even bothered to reply. Ittook me three months to work out with ETA how to take the exam. Their examinersbased at a nearby college had apparently vanished without notice, and thusthere was a lot of dead-end emailing and back-n-forth discussion. ETA finallyoffered the option to have a local library proctor the exam. I made the libraryarrangements and took the exam in mid-May. In just a few days ETA let me knowI'd passed and they submitted my application on the first day the Commissionwas able to accept them, May 20.

sbjohnston at aol.com