[600MRG] WSPR Flavors

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 15:42:27 CST 2017

All of these questions could be answered by reading and understanding ALL the documentation available for the WSPR mode.
WSPR-X is a bastard with many flaws and should not be used for anything except the WSPR-15 mode.
All versions of WSPR and WSJT-X up to the latest ver 1.7 have exactly the same encoder/decoder and have exactly the same decode sensitivity. Over the various versions, the algorithm which approximates the "dB" number reported as S/N in a 2500 Hz bandwidth has changed. That "dB" number should not be used for comparison purposes except in certain very specific tightly controlled circumstances. In other words it should not be used the way most people are using it (as an absolute precision measurement system).
WSJT-X ver 1.7 has the new AN/JT decoder and can be a bit more sensitive. Mostly the difference shows up in dynamic range and the ability to decode multiple signals on almost the same frequency.
Varying the duty cycle does not in any way changed the decode sensitivity. However running more than 20-30% selfishly hogs time and spectrum so the inconsiderate station can "win" the spots contest.
"WSPR" usually refers to the WSPR-2 mode which has a 2 minute period. WSPR-15 has a 15 minute period and for various reasons is useless on HF and of limited use on 475 kHz but is very useful on the LF bands.
Also note that setting your radio to a narrow bandwidth does NOT help the software decode. It will screw up the measurement system that calculates the "dB" number making it even more useless than usual. The software uses internal filter bandwidths on the order of 1 Hz. However, if you have a crappy radio with poor dynamic range, you can help the radio with a narrow IF bandwidth in certain situations, but that has nothing at all to do with the software. The software works as designed with a RX bandwidth of 2.5 to 6 or more kHz.
Don't believe the above? Then you should read the docs and/or ask K1JT!
73,
Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP