[600MRG] Remote tuning

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Jan 1 13:08:55 CST 2017

Although I have not yet been able to finish it, my plans for remote tuning of a base-loading
coil to my 55' vertical revolve around an old satellite TV dish mover and its standard
controller, which includes a reversing turns counter built into it.

I'll cut the mover off just outboard of the drive shaft, preserving the bearing at that point,
then couple it to either gears, or directly to the rotary coil I have, which came from a BC-939
antenna coupler for the BC-610 and T-368 transmitters.

The dish-mover has resettable limit switches in addition to the sensor needed to drive the
digital numeric readout in the controller. The controllers also contain a power supply to
operate the mover and its position-sensor.

One can buy the controllers on eBay for a pittance. The mover is a different matter, but can
usually be found by diligent search of eBay, or by asking owners of "big dishes" who have
retired their systems.

Ken W7EKB

---