[600MRG] Fwd: WSPR DX map...

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:34:21 CST 2017

Hi Dave,

I typically watch geomagnetic indices, including K-index and DST, for
both northern and southern hemisphere.. Over the last few years that I
have tracked these metrics pretty closely its my feeling that we get
the best benefit  during the "onset events" where unsettled or storm
conditions are on approach and ducts form between the E and F layers
before everything falls apart.  K9LA talks a lot about this and it was
the mechanism that I used to complete DXCC on 160m years back...

its been observed by many that geomagnetic conditions can be too quiet
to support openings.. we need a little spark, as John, W1TAG, has said
on many occasions for these paths to develop.

DST is a great indicator and when it pushes positive for numerous
reporting periods, those high latitude paths open like what we observe
with recent reports from LA2XPA or WE2XPQ.

This, of course, is just one mechanism and there are probably many
others that have to line up for openings to develop.  I like to
compare it to a key.. the teeth have to hit each cylinder for the lock
to open.  Geomagnetic conditions are just one of those teeth...  local
noise may be another.. The rest of it remains a mystery...

That's just what I track daily....

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..