[600MRG] Eclipse ?

Bart Lee kv6lee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 14:15:44 CDT 2017

Hi Neil,

When you go out to safely observe the eclipse, also listen to and maybe
record the BIRDS.  In 1978 (?) I drove up to Oregon to observe that
eclipse.  Alas, it was overcast, so all we saw was that it got dark. That
was impressive enough around Noon, but the birds went crazy. I have long
wished I had recorded that sound.

Can you tell me the exact 630m frequency you expect to transmit on, and
your start and ends times? (See attached map for the path from you to us,
put together for the VLF station in Jim Creek, Washington).

VLF has been an interest of several of us here in Northern California, as
the VLF special interest group of the California Historical Radio Society.
If you have the time, gear and interest, you might monitor US Navy station
NPM in Hawaii on 21.4 KHz before and after totality. It is Southwest of you
and the eclipse path may affect propagation for it. This is a very high
power continuous MFSK wide signal, and I find any vertical antenna will
work fine, and so will a single turn loop axis towards the station.

73 de Bart, K6VK ##

-- --
Bart Lee,
​K6VK, CHRS, AWA, ARRL​