[600MRG] Corona Detection by Flash Paper ?

Eric Smith esmithmail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 14:15:25 CDT 2017

Regarding the fluorescent tube .. back when I was running WD2XFX at 2200m with about 200 watts in, a 4' fluorescent tube would illuminate in my hand within 10' of the antenna.  Once lit, the tube would stay lit for up to 25' away.

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself.

Anyway, my kids were little at the time and after my neighbor witnessed this "experiment" he wouldn't let his little girl come over and play with them anymore ...

Eric KD5UWL

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 11:10 AM, david vanhorn <kc6ete at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was once looking for a corona problem on a 400kV VandeGraff machine.  I
> backed off when I noticed that my mustache was glowing.  :)
>
>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM, david vanhorn <kc6ete at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Keep your powder dry!
>>
>>> On Jul 10, 2017 8:54 PM, "Paul Signorelli" <w0rw1 at msn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Corona Detection Experiment #1.
>>>
>>> I put a sharp spike on the top of my loading coil and pointed my IR
>>> Camera at it, 1 foot away.
>>>
>>> I didn't see anything.
>>>
>>> It is night time so I went to look directly at it, There was no corona
>>> visible on the spike.
>>>
>>> I touched it with a big fluorescent tube, I was able to draw a big arc,
>>> 1/2 inch.
>>>
>>> I guess I am not running enough power to have a corona problem.
>>>
>>> Now sending CW on 166.666 kHz until 0400z, 11 July 2017 (Zulu day).
>>>
>>> Paul   wa2xrm
>>>
>>> Colorado
>>> 600MRG mailing list
>>> 600MRG at w7ekb.com