[600MRG] unmodulated carrier at 475

Steve Ratzlaff ratzlaffsteve at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:52:36 CDT 2017

I spent some time Thursday evening trying for this signal on 475.0. I'm
about 20 miles south of Tucson, AZ and I had no trouble hearing it, at
"poor/weak" level in the 0540 utc time period and following 30-40
minutes. It had some  fading but never to inaudibility. I have two main
receive antennas, 900' E/W and 700' N/S longwires. The signal would
regularly fade up and down between the two antennas, first being
stronger on one, then stronger on the other. I find that to be unusual.
I'm primarily an LF NDB DXer for many years, and none of the NDBs I've
heard I've ever noticed had such a pattern. If the beacon is to the east
then the E/W antenna always hears it better than the N/S antenna; same
for a beacon heard best on the N/S antenna, with no fading between them.
I don't know what that means for this 475.0 signal other than I can't
remember ever having experienced that before.

But I also found two other nearby unmodulated carriers. 475.260 with a
much stronger, non-fading signal, always better on the E/W wire; 474.740
much weaker, heard about the same strength with no fading on both E/W
and N/S wires, indicating that signal is somewhere in between for direction.

So whether any of this means anything for finding where the 475.0 signal
is I don't know, but that's my report from last night.

73,

Steve AA7U

near Sahuarita, AZ

R75, E/W and N/S longwires