[600MRG] unmodulated carrier at 475

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 07:46:16 CDT 2017

Good morning -

For the last two nights there has been a strong carrier reported on
475 by stations across the South and East.  The signal is due East of
me here in Dallas on several antennas and K4RCG in Virginia was
reporting it on a roughly NE / SW line.  The SW line would put it in
LA / MS region... I originally wondered if it was XSH/7 working on the
PA and/ or antenna as the signal levels were consistent with what I
recall his being on PSK and CW when he was last QRV.  Someone
indicated that his assigned frequency was active higher in the band,
however.

N4DB, also in Virginia, noted that he was hearing a weak CW signal
that was somewhat obscured by the carrier.  I'm wondering if someone
is trying to put an NDB transmitter on the air...  Tuning off of the
carrier did not reveal a CW signal here, however.

Anyone else hear this signal?  Please have a listen tonight... High
QRN in that direction didn't seem to impact it much here..

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..