[600MRG] Shared? Bands?

Joe nss at mwt.net
Mon Apr 3 09:42:31 CDT 2017

For two reasons I find this whole situation somewhat amusing.

First is how suddenly the shoe is more or less on the other foot.
How many decades, going into centuries now, have we had to deal with the
interference caused to "US" by these power companies? Not by the good
signals they are being worried about us causing interference to, but by
the poor shoddy workmanship, and or maintenance of their stuff that is
sometimes sooo bad it causes us to not be able to use our Federally
issued licenses at all.. Where "WE" had to jump over barrels, for
sometimes years to get them to fix their bad stuff. If you get them to
fix it satisfactorily at all.

And secondly, Think about it, If I was them, I wouldn't be worrying at
all. Think about it. "Joe Amateur" is interested in these "New Bands"
And decides to check it out.

Now I bet at least 75% of the Amateur Gear out there, is capable of
"Listening" to the higher band, and probably half of that the lower
band. So Listening is a no brainer. Hey I have already done that on both
bands with my Kenwood TS-430S. I was AMAZED to the stations and
Distances I heard on the "Activity Night" that happened not too long
ago. And that's with only a 40 meter vertical.

If there was any interference from these signals I am not sure here, I
did not notice any, but then again, I have no idea as to what these
signals may even sound like. Does anyone have any recordings of what
they sound or look like on a waterfall?

I am very happy with my local CO-OP Power company. Quiet lines, and
actually quite open and willing to answer technical questions.

I TOO have a "Smart" Meter, But I have never experienced any
interference from it that I know of. And now after conversing with their
tech guy I can see why.

They run two "Bands" sets of Frequencies on their power lines. One set
is used for mainly controlling equipment's. Theirs, AND customers like
Electric Water heaters, Car Chargers, etc. Where if used only at night
they charge a cheaper rate. They can turn them on and off at will
depending on load conditions.

These "BANDS" are two separate in Frequency by a LOT!

The "LOW" Band is around 600 Hz But is only used where the "HIGH" band
has propagation issues. And or in locations that have variable frequency
drives, they mess with this 600Hz signals bad he says.  These "ISSUES"
being the "HIGH" band has trouble getting through transformers. And has
great attenuation issues with any lines buried underground. High Band?
Yeah he he 12.6 Khz. That's their upper limit frequency wise.

Each meter is polled once a day, that's it. Plus in the next year or two
he says all this will be gone anyway for they are changing over to a
900Mhz based system. Where it is like a meshed system where every meter
is recver and tranny too. relaying the datas along from meter to meter
to get it to where it needs to go.

OK Back to this interference issues.

Think about it again "Joe Amateur" is interested and fires up his
Kenwood TS-430S and listens. if there is a lot of activity from the
power companies, and he hears this activity, and the level of activity
is enough to be annoying, does anyone think he is going to pursue
getting on these bands still?

I mean coming up with any even remotely efficient antenna is going to
require some decent sized real estate. Then how many amateurs have the
skills to come up with some way to transmit a signal on those two bands?
Are they going to spend a lot of effort on a band that is full of power
company data interference?

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 4/3/2017 5:28 AM, Warren K2ORS wrote:
> Mike,
>
>      Nope, there was no consultation with UTC on Part 5 licenses. In
> fact, in one of the Utilities comments they said as much - that there
> were a small number of  experimental licenses and they didn't want
> amateurs just popping everywhere.
>

> 73 Warren
>

> On 4/3/2017 5:48 AM, ab1aw wrote:
>> I wonder if being granted a part 5 license is any indication of that
>> station location not being near a PLC transmission line?  One would
>> think that the UTC would not want a high power station near their
>> lines.  If one is already operating a part 5 station, the UTC would
>> be hard pressed to justify the denial of a part 97 station at that
>> same location.
>> MikeAB1AW  /  WI2XRE
>>

>> Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2
>> -------- Original message --------From: Warren K2ORS
>> <k2ors at verizon.net> Date: 4/2/17  9:00 AM  (GMT-05:00) To:
>> 600mrg at w7ekb.com Subject: Re: [600MRG] Experimental Licenses Kaput?
>> Frank,
>>
>>     The Experimental Licenses are unrelated to the Amateur allocations.
>> I think that as long as you pay your renewal fee on time you should be
>> good to go. However it's my understanding that the ARRL won't renew
>> WD2XSH.
>>
>>     I think that the Amateur allocation is a good thing, however I'm not
>> even sure that I'll bother with getting on with my Amateur license, its
>> a lot of hassle for very limited privileges.
>>
>>     I think of the Part 5 Experimental license days as the "Wild West"
>> of 500kHz operation, we'll never see trans-Atlantic ssb contacts with
>> 200W ERP power levels under the restrictive Amateur rules the way we did
>> in the Part 5 days. I fondly remember picking up Part 5 stations
>> hundreds of miles away on my Sony 2010 with its built in ferrite loop
>> antenna, which will be impossible given the paltry power allowed under
>> the Amateur rules.
>>
>> 73 Warren
>>

>> On 4/1/2017 10:12 PM, Frank Lotito wrote:
>>> Regarding the two new "below the broadcast band" amateur radio
>>> frequency assignments, what happens with the Part 5 Experimental
>>> licenses (grants) we have?  If our Part 5 grant covers a different
>>> frequency range, including some or all of the new frequency ranges
>>> allocated to the Amateur Service, what call sign "must" we use when
>>> transmitting within the new amateur bands, our 47CFR97 amateur call
>>> or our 47CFR5 experimental call?  When our experimental grant is up
>>> for renewal, what's the likelihood will it be renewed?  Etc,
>>>

>>> 73 Frank Lotito  K3DZ / WH2XHA
>>> 600MRG mailing list