[600MRG] RAK

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Sep 25 22:15:54 CDT 2016

On 25 Sep 2016 at 22:42, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Any chance of getting a recording of something interesting on the RAK?

Not at this location: noise here is really terrible. I am thinking of taking an RAK out into the
field and running it on batteries. I'm not sure what to use for an antenna there though,
although I do have some beautiful 36" loops with big wooden tripods to mount them on.

> It sounds absolutely fabulous!

Well, I sure like them;.

> Too bad the maritime stations aren't there but maybe you will hear VK5BUG, Doc - he's got
> 3,000 miles with CW from his location.

We used to copy NWC down in Oz on RAKs in Missoula, Montana back in the 1970s, but
that station has been long gone, unfortunately. Also, of course, NWC ran several hundred
thousand watts output as I remember it. We copied NWC 24/7/365 then.

Ken W7EKB

---