[600MRG] Nice Discovery

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Sep 5 22:10:15 CDT 2016

Well its not a 100w radio but the K3 with new
synth and the new K3s both cover 630m.  They
operate at the transverter level of 1mw so you do need an amplifier.

In my case I used my K3 on 495-510 KHz with its
original synthesizer (tuned down to 490-KHz) and
received using my SDR-IQ.  I had to reduce output
to 0.1mw to keep from overdriving my modified
100w NDB transmitter.  I modified it by removing
the xtal LO state and capacitively coupling the
K3 drive at that point.  The NDB covers from
200-KHz to 600-KHz running on 55vdc from its own
ac power supply (my unit had xtals for 256-KHz).

The new synth board combined with a modified
general coverage IF filter extends Tx/Rx into the
630m band and below.  These changes are standard
in the new K3s model.  However the 100w optional
HF/6m amp does not work below 160m.

BTW nice article by G3XBM in Sept. 2016 QST on
building a 80m to 630m transverter running 15w
output. I had once considered offering a 25w
transverter using a 10-MHz LO for use with the K3
but that is now unnecessary with the addition of
the new synth board to a K3 or buying the new K3s.

Good to hear that more equipment is capable of
operating on 630m since that should help
occupancy of a new ham band once it has be established.

73, Ed - KL7UW