[600MRG] RSSI Versa's Noise reports

Alan Cooper w7aln at netzero.net
Wed Oct 5 17:14:29 CDT 2016

I like Rudy's dose of common sense of averaging many readings. In the
commercial field of

telecommunications I run into a fair number of highly educated "engineer's"
who will tell one

that on a certain street corner at the intersection of chaos and discipline,
the RSSI will always be

a negative blah blah db without exception or variation. When I hear that I
always think to myself

here we go again!  It however makes a valid point that most all of the guys
on this 600MRG reflector

have a better practical understanding of propagation than they do! Not all
of those engineers mind

you (there are some who are really sharp and are way under appreciated for
the skills they have).

There is one thing I am not getting a good grasp of in these discussions
however that I hope someone

can help me with..

What are the points of reference that these S/N logarithmic readings revolve
around?

In the telecommunications field the noise floor (with some manmade noise
thrown in) is considered

To be between -125db down to -140db with normal loss of a call in progress
happening near -117db

To -120db. A RSSI of a -45 to a -70db is considered to be a very HOT signal
level range. This of course

takes place at freq.'s that range from 700 MHz up to 1.9 GHz.

the reports here on the 600MRG of -30db then as compared to all of that (if
one could remove the noise factor)

is a very good signal level so I feel that my points of reference are all
messed up in terms of 475Khz RSSI measurements.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks

Alan Cooper

w7aln at netzero.com

Bandon, Oregon

Morse Code Forever! the original digital that started it all

                                           AKA CW (circa 1880's)