[600MRG] measuring noise level ?

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 10:26:32 CDT 2016

I did not say there was no reason to be aware of noise - far from it.  In both my amateur and my professional life the problem of radio noise is a very big deal.  I just don't get the point of sharing a figure like "-85 dB".

Decibels don't mean anything unless you provide the reference level to which your measurement is -85 dB down from.

And without considering the gain or loss of the complete antenna system (or the bandwidth of the receive system in which you are adding up the noise) I can't see how you can compare station A to station B in a different location.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.