[600MRG] WSPRnet problems

Chris - KC0TKS kc0tks at cmsdigital.net
Sun Jan 24 16:08:37 CST 2016

In my opinion, the WSPRnet ops need to use a distributed server
arrangement like APRS-IS uses. APRS uses dozens of servers in a mesh
configuration so that server overloads and failures do not have any
effect on the entire system. If the APRS server I am connected to fails,
the client software simply connects to another and life goes on as usual.

APRS-IS normally runs on servers that are operated by volunteers, so as
popularity and network traffic increases, so do the numbers of servers
available.

Many have expressed a desire to contribute money, expertise and server
space to the WSPR effort but it seems that the offers have fallen on
deaf ears. I hope that a suitable alternative indeed does surface. WSPR
is a much too valuable tool to let die from lack of effort.

Chris - KC0TKS