[600MRG] Loops with ribbon cable

stoskopf at tri.net stoskopf at tri.net
Tue Feb 16 16:48:06 CST 2016

I totally agree with comments about ribbon cable:  high inter-turn
capacitance and small diameter wire.  Surprisingly some years ago I bought
at a flea market a 1 meter square loop, actually 2 at 90 degrees, made of
heavy 1 inch aluminum pipe all welded to a box at the bottom and with a
molded block of plastic at the top for the shield gap.  Inside is a ribbon
cable with perhaps 10 wires all connected in series.  Used it for a while
on the blitzortung project and worked OK.  Thought about restringing it
with litz wire, but too lazy.  N0UU