[600MRG] Extra Turns - Open or Shorted or Removed

w8au at sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Fri Apr 1 00:29:28 CDT 2016

At 10:22 PM 3/31/2016, Frank Lotito wrote:
>Any thoughts on what should be done with the unused turns of LF and
>MF loading coils?  Obviously, we are reluctant to compromise the
>future utility of a higher than necessary inductance by physically
>removing the unused turns of an existing loading coil.

Frank:   Your comments bring to mind the way the Navy handled that
with their (if memory serves) SRA-22 vertical antenna base tuner.
             The enclosure housed a rotating loading coil of flat
copper strap that would unwind or wind turns as the operator remotely
             operated the drive motor.   Voila!  no floating or shorted turns..

Perry     w8au