[600MRG] Q meters

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Mon Sep 28 07:16:48 CDT 2015

Measuring antenna Q via a bandwidth method is definitely a means to deduce Q, but it is "total system Q."  Its difficult to deduce the Q of a particular element within the system using a total system Q measurement technique.  A suggestion - to keep from making an error that I made and will not forget - Make sure the inductor you are measuring is suspended high and dry when its being measured.  A rule of thumb, keep the inductor on or better yet two diameters away from any conductive structure, such as a metal topped work bench.   The same rules apply when mounting the inductor in an enclosure.  As we all know, toroid and E-core inductors are a darned more forgiving.  Their external filed is only a small fraction of what an air-core or ferrite / iron powder rod inductor is.

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA