[600MRG] Question : Hanging Vertical drop wires on a Horizontal Top Load

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 20:23:31 CDT 2015

Greetings all:

I finally put an antenna back in the air.. It's a simple 160m OCF dipole, up 30 feet, with a
single wire feeder.. Still working to get it self resonant on 160 meters.. I haven't measured
to the inch the length of the horizontal wire, but it's very close to 260 feet +/- a bit..
The single wire feeder is about 35 feet long, angling at 45 degree's over to my window..
The mast is 20 feet from my trailer.. That's the basic setup, now my question of curiousity..
If I connect a vertical drop wire at any chosen point along the horizontal run, and let it hang
down to 8 feet AGL, and tie it down so it does not wave in the wind... Will the vertical wire
radiate RF ?? Will it be in the vertical plane ?? What if I hang more than one drop wire,
spaced at a chosen distance ?? I'm curious if the vertical drop wires will benefit in any
way, or, " just be there " ... Thanks for any comments on the matter.. 73 to all :

Andy - KU4XR