[600MRG] Resonant frequencies and loaded antennas

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Sun Sep 13 09:35:55 CDT 2015

Ken - I believe this statement of yours in error -

"For instance, one cannot install a loading coil at the very top or end of any

antenna, since the theoretically necessary inductance would be infinite due

to the impedance at that point being zero."

At the very end of the antenna, resonant or not, the voltage is a maximum, and the current is a minimum.  In my way of thinking, that means very-very high impedance.

Also, with very short radiators (w.r.t. wavelength,) as we all know, large value loading coils are required to resonate the antenna.  As you move the inductor towards the end of the radiator the required inductance for resonance increases.  On the positive side, when the inductor is moved away from the feed point the wire between the feed point and input to the loading coil carries more current.  Carrying more current in the radiator is definitely desirable.  BUT - the larger inductance generally means more losses in the coil.   So, moving the inductor towards the radiator's end is a balancing act between various factors.  If you are pushing more RF Power, the balancing act now includes a whole plethora of variables related to the inductor's mechanical / electrical design which impacts heavily on the inductor's survivability in an outdoor environment.

GL -

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA