[600MRG] Resonant frequencies and loaded antennas

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Sep 12 16:38:59 CDT 2015

On 12 Sep 2015 at 7:52, Pat Hamel wrote:

> Ken,
> It depends on the length and diameter of the wire, the quality of the end
> insulator, and the surroundings for capacitance.
> In the downloads of the www.500kc.com there is a copy of part of an old NBS
> publication. It  will have more than you need, but I think it will be able to
> get you close. Or you can guess 7 picofarads per foot for thin wire and go from
> there. Insulation on the wire decreases the resonance a small amount. Pat W5THT
> & WD2XSH/6

Well, Pat, doing a lot more "research", I am finding out things I suspected,
but never really knew before.

For instance, one cannot install a loading coil at the very top or end of any
antenna, since the theoretically necessary inductance would be infinite due
to the impedance at that point being zero.

Adding capacity hats of any sort reduces that necessary inductance to
practical levels.

When I tried to calculate the necessary inductance I would need here at the
"end" of my 140 feet of wire to resonate it at 630 meters (476 kHz), the
program I found on the web instantly "moved" my coil back to 126 feet, then
calculated I would need 3357 uH of inductance.

>From an article by Hall in Sept 74 QST, I find I can fairly accurately calculate
where to put a loading coil in an antenna such as my proposed one....for one
or two bands...but this does not address traps.

My trouble is that I am trying to optimize a multi-band trap antenna covering
160 through 10 meters, PLUS 630 Meters.

I have an article on a "shortened" trap-dipole for 160/80/40, only 124 feet
long, which resonates on all three bands (and possibly higher too, but that
has not been tested). The fellow uses traps which are resonant at the center
of the desired bands.

I had thought of regarding the 160/80/40 meter antenna above as a single
hunk of wire 124 feet long, then by adding a trap tuned to 160 meters, using
the entire length plus the top-loading coil, on 630 meters.

BUT, the inductance, alone, of the three traps undoubtedly add, electrically,
to the length of wire, and, in addition, adding the 160 meter trap adds
additional inductance, all of which must be considered for 630 meters.

I had thought that I may be able to subtract the inductance of the traps from
the inductance of the loading coil for 630 meters, but I am certain that is not
accurate either.

But I have no idea of the effect of the capacitive reactances of the traps on
the electrical length of wire either.

Then there is the matter of the wire between the traps and the effect on
those of the proposed 160 meter trap.

According to another article I was shown, by Yardley Beers (SK) in Aug 87
Ham Radio magazine, AND according to yet another source I found on the
web, building traps which are resonant far outside any ham-band results in
an antenna which is far more efficient than using traps resonant within a ham
band.

Yardley used traps which were resonant at the geometric mean of the two
bands: i.e., about 6.5 MHz for 80 and 40.

The trouble with this is that one must include both the capacitive and
inductive reactances of the trap components in the calculations, which, it
turns out, are NOT trivial. (Why am I not surprised?)

Anyway, what I am trying to accomplish may not be possible with the limited
formulae and understanding I presently have.

And attempting such an antenna by "cut and try" would take forever.

Thanks again for your very helpful suggestions.

Ken W7EKB