[600MRG] A couple of antenna issues...

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Thu Sep 10 19:36:37 CDT 2015

Ken,
For 600 meters;

You can build it, put power to it, measure field strengths, and then
calculate ERP.
The measuring method is most accurate, but can be expensive if you hire a
professional company to do the measurement.
You can build a field-strength meter yourself, study the method of finding
good locations at the correct distances, and take the time and trouble to do
the measurements, and adjust the power until the readings are correct.
-=-=-=-
OR
-=-=-=-
The power to a vertical antenna to achieve the maximum ERP depends on the
electrical height of the antenna which determines it's efficiency which can
be related to the radiation resistance of the antenna.
Figure the electrical height from the ground to the tip or top loading - not
slant length.
The engineering protocol is that the vertical antenna height is up to the
top loading, if no top loading, then the tip.
Look up the radiation resistance for a lossless antenna of that height (not
the slant height) over perfect ground (I used the graphs in Jasik first
edition).
Then measure the total input "R" you have.
My antenna (50 foot high) had a calculated radiation resistance of zero
point seven seven ohms.
I measured 28 ohms input "R". The efficiency then was about 3 percent.

Use the writeup by Fritz in www.500kc.com to calculate the correct antenna
current through your perfect radiation resistance and build a transmitter to
push that amount of current through the total measured "R" (including all
the losses).

You will be close to maximum ERP but not above it.
73,
Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6