[600MRG] A couple of antenna issues...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Sep 10 12:27:19 CDT 2015

OK. I have decided to quite fooling around, trying to find some means of
definitively calculating and working out the exact parameters for an antenna
here, and have decided to do the following:

1) Construct 1/2 of a trap-dipole, exactly like this one:

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9207035.pdf, installed as
a "sloper" to the top of the 100'+ grand-fir behind our home. fed with 50 ohm
LMR-400, then

2) Add a trap for 160 meters onto the end, then

3) Add as much wire to take up the rest of the available length
(approximately 140 feet overall), then

4) Install counterpoises, tuned for the various ham bands, and other ground
wires, as much as I can lay down, then

5) Add EITHER a top-loading coil, OR attempt remotely switchable
bottom-loading to enable use on 630 meters. (I would prefer top-loading, but
that may be difficult.)

6) Install a remotely-tunable and switchable bottom-"tweaking" coil.

So, a question or two:

A) How would I calculate the required RF input to this antenna to achieve our
licensed ERP?

B) Anyone care to hazard a guess as to this proposed antenna's efficiency
on both the HF ham bands AND on 630 meters? I would imagine that it
would "acceptable" at HF, but very poor at 630 meters.

Polarization would be, mainly, vertical in all cases.

Ken W7EKB XSH/24