[600MRG] 639m Access: Part 5 or Part 97?

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Tue Mar 24 10:09:05 CDT 2015

Warren,
Your answer has underlined the issue at the heart of my question: Considering a pending Part 97 request, FCC Wireless Desk asks OET if there is any Part 5 activity that he should consider in his disposition. The OET desk has no sensitivity or knowledge of amateur radio 630m intentions and responds that there are 24 (my guess) pending or current Part 5 applications at 630m. The Wireless desk has no knowledge of the amateur radio connection with any of the Part 5 users and decides it would be more efficient to allocate his limited resources to resolve different issues with better defined parameters.

Here’s another idea for the group to consider: Should we sponsor someone from within our group to shepherd the request through the FCC process? That might be all that is needed to get past the current impasse. I would be willing to donate funds to such an effort and I’ll bet that I am not alone.

-Mike, AI8Z