[600MRG] 639m Access: Part 5 or Part 97?

Warren K2ORS k2ors at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 10:10:56 CDT 2015

John,

      There are many experimental licenses that overlap the existing ham
bands, so I don't think that we are talking about the FCC asking the
experimental licensees to vacate if a ham band is created. What I
believe the discussion was about was that the ARRL experimental license
holder W1FR would ask the WD2XSH participants to vacate the new ham
band. I believe also that ARRL would not seek to renew WD2XSH when/if a
630m ham band is established.

     That said, I agree that the best strategy is for the experimental
licensees who want to continue to operate once a ham band is established
should do so outside of the ham band (but within their license grant of
course!)

73 Warren

On 3/24/2015 10:29 AM, John Langridge wrote:
> As I recall, early discussions suggested that when the FCC was ready to make a move, those within the band would be told to vacate.  Of course any objections could be aired during the comment period but I can't see why any one of us would have an objection.  Most of us have asked for spectrum larger than the 472-479 band so in effect we would be notching out that piece of band.  Those that had asked only for 472-479 would not longer be able to operate under part 5 rules.
> Those are my recollections based on some conversations and discussions.  Juan, K4LCD / WG2XXF, had many conversations with the FCC while trying to get his tenuous grant pushed through and that was one of the items that came up.
>
> In short,  no, I don't expect it to be an impact but I realize that attitudes and agendas change.  Not to mention one persons comment in an FCC office may not reflect the opinions of the commission as a whole.
>
> 73!
> John XIQ

---