[600MRG] The Dallas Files

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 21:46:58 CDT 2015

 Warren wrote:

Dallas Lankford has posted some of his articles on LW/MW
reception on a new Yahoo Group.

 If the rest of the articles are as muddled as the one I just read, "My Experiences With Some AM Synchronous Detectors", then I won't bother reading the rest.

Mr Lankford opens and closes his article with the sentence, "The more I study and use AM synchronous detectors the more I am mystified as to why they are so highly acclaimed."  But when you actually read the text in between you find that it would make more sense to just say 'The more I study and use *badly-designed* AM synchronous detectors the more I wonder why these units don't work well.'

Doesn't he suspect that there might be some good designs out there?  There must be a reason sync detectors have been "highly acclaimed".

Why conclude that synchronous detectors for AM are no good just because one has found bad examples in various receivers!  That's like saying automobiles in general are no good because the cars I've owned haven't been fun to drive.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.