[600MRG] impedance analyzers

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Tue Jun 2 12:03:15 CDT 2015

Being able to measure your antenna feedpoint impedance (R and jX) is crucial
for optimizing antennas and evaluating additions/changes.

The art of the antenna analyzer is advancing rapidly with a host of new
choices available.  The MFJ 2*** series of analyzers are totally out of date
and marginal performers at best.   I think if you don't already have one
these are a total waste of $.  For only a little more you can buy the Array
Solutions AIM4170 which is a serious instrument.  I've used one for years
and it works great.  It requires a laptop which makes it bulky but you can
easily calibrate a long cable and make all the measurements from the shack.
I do this all the time.  If you don't want to use a laptop there are still
many choices.  Recently I've had a chance to play with the SteppIR SARK-110
analyzer ($389) which is about the size of a pack of cards.  It can be used
independent of a laptop or with one.  I haven't fully exercised it yet but
it looks very good and is an example of the rapid progress in these devices.
There are also the Rig-Expert products.  I haven't tried one but they look
interesting, some cost less than the MFJ.

73, Rudy N6LF WD2XSH/20